The Artemis is a demonic gun which fires arrows imbued with demonic energy. It has the ability to fire multiple shots at either one or many enemies at a time. Its shots are able to stun most enemies, and its slow reload time can be overcome by using multi-locked shots. Upgrading it raises its max number of lock-on targets.
Artemis initially appears as an idol in a tall stone statue and was worshipped as a goddess. At its base is a pedestal with three slots for the Essances. On top of the base are four rhombi that accordion into another. The last, top rhombus holds Artemis itself.
Artemis is highly advanced silver, crossbow-akin weapon of demonic origin. Despite this, it has a very angelic look. Above its barrel is a face with yellow eyes and helmet-like panel. A pair of arms cross in front of the barrel from its sides. Behind the arms are wing designed panels. On the back is a long tail that extends over its users elbow. Artemis is adorned with purple jewels and all of the panels can open and rotate.
Artemis is a very handy firearm. It fires magenta-coloured plasma blasts of orb-like projectiles - or "arrows" - made of demonic energy, that home in on a target. Without charging, Artemis will only fire a single arrow and has a long cooldown time. The cooldown is made up for by charging and releasing multiple arrows at once. Charging can be done during any action. Firing one arrow will send it flying straight to the enemy; however, firing multiple arrows will cause a slight delay as they momentarily float in the air in a formation around Dante's silhouette, before accelerating in an instant and hitting all of the locked-on enemies at once. This burst effect can be used to create new and unique setups that normally would not be possible. On the ground, the repeated attacks cause the enemy to flinch, effectively leaving them stunned for a much longer amount of time than most weapons allow.
Artemis' Gunslinger Multi-lock attack locks arrows to one enemy to increase the damage dealt to it, dramatically enhancing the stun potential as well. Sphere creates a giant orb in front of Dante, acting as a close range attack. Acid Rain is an area-of-effect attack that sends energy "droplets" raining from above all around Dante, however it does leave Dante vulnerable for a short time before the shots begin coming down. Acid Rain in particular grants a large amount of Style points.
The Artemis first appears during Mission 6: Family Ties of Dante's scenario, as part of the Mute Goddess' statue located within the central Temen-ni-gru, where it is aimed at a door blocked by rubble. Dante must obtain two of the three Essences and use them on the statue in order to activate it and destroy the rubble, though if he obtains all three the statue will compress and allow him to take the Artemis. The three Essences are hidden within the Trial rooms of the Tri-Sealed Antechamber.
- The Essence of Fighting, which represents the fighting spirit of the ancients, lies within the Trial of the Warrior, and Dante must defeat a horde of Devil Triggered Hell demons to obtain it. The demons may be temporarily taken out of Devil Trigger by activating the crests on the walls.
- The Essence of Technique, which represents the masterful techniques of the ancients, lies within the Trial of Skill, and Dante must jump, dodge, and air dash in order to make it through a chamber filled with approaching spikes.
- The Essence of Intelligence, which represents the impalpable knowledge of the ancients, lies within the Trial of Wisdom, and Dante must solve a riddle given on the pillar outside to enter the chamber with the Essence in it.
Devil May Cry 3Edit
|Multi-lock||(hold and release)||Lock on to a single enemy on the screen and then fire a wave of searing lasers to light them up. Levels 2 and 3 increase the number of lock-ons focused on a single enemy.|
|Levels 2 & 3|
|Max Lock Up||(Passive)||Increases the number of lock-ons focused on a single enemy. Level 3 increases the number of lock-ons further.|
|Sphere||++||Fire out charged laser energy in the form of a giant orb.|
|Acid Rain||Crazy Sphere||Shoot multiple laser beams into the heavens which come raining down on enemies with increased ferocity.|
Appearance in other mediaEdit
- In Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Dante has access to Normal Shot and Acid Rain, however, Artemis's Acid Rain acquires a faster drop in the pink arrows.
- The Artemis is one of Dante's weapons in Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds. Dante can perform Multi-Lock and Acid Rain as special moves. Curiously, Dante can walk around while charging the Multi-Lock attack.
In Greek mythology, Artemis was the daughter of Zeus and Leto, twin sister to Apollo and goddess of the moon and the hunt. She is also considered a mother goddess, especially in Ephesus.
The riddle of the Trial of Wisdom is based on the riddle of the Sphinx in Oedipus Rex: "What is the creature that walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three in the evening?" The answer is "Man" — who crawls on all fours as a baby, then walks on two feet as an adult, and walks with a cane in old age.
- Artemis bears a strong resemblance to Resident Evil 4's secret weapon, the P.R.L. 412. Both weapons fire a laser barrage, have a charged blast, and cover the user's entire forearm.
- In Devil May Cry 5, there is a demon named Artemis, which uses Lady as its core vessel.
- ↑ Devil May Cry 5
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Guns File — Artemis: "A gun of the demon world that discharges arrows concentrated with demon energy."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Customize Guns — Artemis: "Raises max number of lock-on targets."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: "The goddess statue's piercing stare is focused on the front door."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: "Wreckage is obstructing the path. You can't go any further."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: "Passing one trial still shows lacking. Passing two trials expands horizons. Passing all trials unlocks one's true potential."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Key Item File — Essence of Fighting: "The fighting spirit of the ancient ones. Offer this to the goddess to open a new path."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: "Your warrior's heart will be put to the test in the chamber ahead. Light all of the crests to suppress the evil spirit's rage."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Key Item File — Essence of Technique: "Masterful techniques of the ancient ones. Offer this to the goddess to open a new path."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: "Your techniques will be put to the test in the chamber ahead. Overcome the onslaught of obstacles to guarantee your future."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Key Item File — Essence of Intelligence: "Impalpable knowledge of the ancient ones. Offer this to the goddess to open a new path."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: "Your wisdom will be put to the test in the chamber ahead. Use your lifetime experience: from the crawling infant; to the man standing tall; and finally to the old-man leaning on his cane."
|Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening|
|Characters||Playable||Dante - Vergil|
|Non-playable||Arkham - Lady - Mundus|
|Bosses||Agni & Rudra - Beowulf - Cerberus - Doppelganger - Geryon - Gigapede - Leviathan - Nevan|
|Lesser Demons||Abyss - Arachne - Blood-goyle - Damned Chessmen - Dullahan - Enigma - The Fallen - Hell Envy - Hell Pride - Hell Sloth - Hell Vanguard - Hell Wrath - Seven Hells of the Demon Army - Soul Eater|
|Weapons||Dante||Agni & Rudra - Beowulf - Cerberus - Nevan - Rebellion - Artemis - Ebony & Ivory - Kalina Ann - Shotgun - Spiral|
|Vergil||Beowulf - Force Edge - Yamato - Summoned Swords|
|Styles||Dante||Doppelganger - Gunslinger - Quicksilver - Royalguard - Swordmaster - Trickster|
|Locations||13th Avenue - 66 Slum Avenue - Bullseye Bar - Dante's Office - Demon World - Human World - Love Planet - Residential Area - Temen-ni-gru|
|Music||Devils Never Cry - Divine Hate - Suffer - Taste The Blood|