In some situations, players will be split up from each other, but it is possible to fight alongside another player in the same battle zone. If the two players are far apart, the game will replace enemy encounters for the player who is further behind, but if they are close enough an encounter cleared by one player will remain clear for the second. Once the Mission is over, an "Evaluation" menu will be available, where players can rate their guests as "Stylish!", earning these ranks will award the player with one Gold Orb for each rating. Awards are not granted immediately, rather being granted during a server synch that only occurs once per day at the same time that the 1-orb daily login bonus resets. They will then be awarded the next time the player starts up the game during the initial loading operation. The Mission Select menu also displays the amount of ratings one has obtained in total for each mission with the system available.
A fair number of missions have the Cameo System available, and even if the user is offline, developer data will be used in the instances where another player is supposed to appear, which is known by seeing the name "THE DMC CREW" in the "Starring" list. If the player has played the level as the other character themselves, their own run of the level may be used: in this case, they will see their own username. In addition, players in an users' friend list will be prioritized when possible if the "Friend Priority" option is turned on the Network menu, however, they cannot be invited manually.
The player name box will also display if that player gets an S, SS or SSS ranking in combat, showing it to the right of their name for as long as they maintain it. Lower ranks are not shown.
One way to know when a real player is present during the intersection is by trying to skip cutscenes, a "Waiting for Partner(s)" notice will appear at the top right, indicating that the guest hasn't skipped the cutscene and is present in the session. This will, however, only occur if the two players are close enough together that they both end up watching the same cutscene at the same time, otherwise it can be skipped as normal.
The player has several options they can set themselves under the "Network" tab of the options menu. They can turn off cameos by human players by disabling the "Network" option, turn on a "spoiler filter," and set "friend priority."
Friend priority will mean the game prioritizes pairing the player with runs of the game by users on their system's friend list. The spoiler filter, if switched on, will hide any alternate character costumes the player has not unlocked themselves. It does not hide weapons the player has not yet received, however.
Real-time matchmaking rulesEdit
The following are the rules to the real-time matchmaking according to the Devil May Cry 5 Official Complete Guide:
- It's possible to match with players in real-time on M03, M04, M07, M13, M14, M15 and M16.
- Real-time matchmaking is turned off on "Heaven and Hell" and "Hell and Hell" difficulties.
- Real-time matchmaking is turned off when using a Super Costume.
The following are the missions where players are able to trigger the Cameo System, whether that's through real-time interactions or ghost data.
- Main Missions
- Prologue (Dante, playing Mission 10) - Seen in background
- Mission 02: Qliphoth (V's Secret Mission 04 occurs in the hotel area) - Seen in background
- Mission 03: Flying Hunter (V, playing Mission 04) - Seen in background, V's destruction of several Blood Clots affects Nero's side of the map.
- Mission 04: V (Nero, playing Mission 03) - Seen in background
- Mission 05: The Devil Sword Sparda (Nero, playing Mission 06) - Background sounds of the battle between Nero and Gilgamesh
- Mission 06: Steel Impact (V, playing Mission 05) - V's actions affect whether Gilgamesh's legs come up damaged
- Mission 07: United Front (Whichever character the player did not select, playing the same mission) - Overlapping path, both players can fight the last three encounters and the boss together
- Mission 10: Awaken (Records a cameo for Nero in the Prologue, but there appears to be no actual Nero cameo here)
- Mission 13: Three Warriors (Whichever two characters the player did not select, playing the same mission) - Overlapping path, players can clear the main rooms of the mission together
- Mission 14: Diverging Point: V (Nero playing Mission 15 and Dante playing Mission 16) - Seen in background
- Mission 15: Diverging Point: Nero (V playing Mission 14 and Dante playing Mission 16) - Seen in background
- Mission 16: Diverging Point: Dante (V playing Mission 14 and Nero playing Mission 15) - Seen in background
- Secret Missions
- Secret Mission 04 (Nero, from Mission 02) - Seen in background
- When Devil May Cry 5 was added to the online stores of PlayStation, Xbox and Steam, the game was tagged as having online play on all platforms with the PlayStation and Xbox stores stating that "2-3" were the maximum amount of players in a lobby, this was long before the Cameo System was announced during The Game Awards 2018.
- On console, a PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live subscription are required in order to experience this system with other players online.
- If no one is found during the search time, the game will automatically match the player with a recording of someone's play data.
- Resident Evil 6, another Capcom game, features a system very similar to this one called Story Intersections. Every campaign has at least one chapter with a player intersection where a 4-player co-op is possible, though playing with someone's recorded data is not possible in that game, perhaps due to technical limitations or time constraints during its development.
- One of the reasons why Devil May Cry 5 has no Holy Waters or Vital Stars is because of the Cameo System, in a DengekiOnline interview, Itsuno stated that they wanted players to spend as little time as possible standing still in the pause screen because of this new system.
- If the player goes into any menu during the intersection, including when picking up Blue/Purple/Gold Orbs, the player will disconnect from any guests. Using the Divinity Statue won't stop the intersection though.
- When checking the game's files on PC, it's possible to see data that mentions the use of an invite system and texts which allude to a searching mechanic.
- In addition, in the text file related to the "Evaluation" screen there is a text that reads "Times fought together", which is something that remained unused in the final game.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 CAPCOM: Devil May Cry 5 Official Site
- ↑ The Game Awards extended Devil May Cry 5 trailer featuring V, cameo system and more - Capcom Unity
- ↑ Devil May Cry 5 - "We Still Have a Couple of Surprises" - Interview
- ↑ Steam, Xbox, PlayStation
- ↑ ファミ通.com
- ↑ 電撃 - 『DMC5』新キャラ“V”のアクションポイントに迫る。世界に通じるように開発者が心掛けたことは!?