Cavaliere originated as a drawing of a motorcycle made by a member of the development team, which director Hideaki Itsuno found cool. Itsuno had wanted to implement a motorcycle as a weapon in the series for a long time, with his team having trying to implement such a weapon as early as Devil May Cry 2. Dante used Lady's motorcycle as a weapon during a cutscene in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, but it was not implemented in gameplay.
Cavaliere is a black motorcycle created from a fusion of a normal motorcycle and sections of Cavaliere Angelo's demonic metal armor, with a front faring that resembles Cavaliere Angelo's helmet, bat wing-like decorative extensions to the side faring and double-sided serrated blades extending from the point where the front fork meets the wheel. The Cavaliere R version uses the same design, only with red as its main color.
For its melee form, the handlebars slide to the spot where the gas tank meets the seat and the motorcycle splits in half. The tires then open up into large spiked buzzsaws.
While Cavaliere is equipped as the active weapon, Dante wears a pair of googles around his neck, which seems to be the same model used by Lady. In his Devil Trigger form, Dante puts them over his eyes.
- Devil May Cry 5 promo site
- A heavyweight weapon born of materials infused with demonic power. Lay on the pain with its spinning wheels in motorbike form, or heft it around by the handlebars as a pair of massive twin swords.
- Dante can even attack from the driver's seat.
- The bladed wheels and sharp ram-like protrusions grind demons to bits.
- Cavaliere R DLC description
- A version of the Cavaliere weapon Dante acquires, which has been customized by Nico for Dante's use. Its instantaneous output has been increased, and its appearance matches Dante's thematic color. Can be used in-game after acquiring the Cavaliere.
- Nico's Weapon Report - Cavaliere
- I gotta tell ya, of all of Dante's Devil Arms, this one really butters my biscuit.
- This is what happens when you jam together a bunch of broken armor with a broken down hog. I tell ya I tried digging around under the hood myself, but I still have no dang clue how this thing works.
- Hell, I even asked the man himself about it, but even Dante couldn't explain how he put this damn freak show together.
- I mean come on a chopper that turns into a sword? Heh, makes the Red Queen look like standard issue.
Cavaliere is a motorcycle that can be split up into a pair of giant buzzsaws. The weapon's attacks are slow but deal high damage while covering a wide area.
Central to Cavaliere is the "Gear Wheel" mechanic. This activates when Dante strikes an enemy with most of Cavaliere's attacks: the saw will crackle with energy during a specific part of its attack animations. Pressing a button during this will perform "Low Gear" which provides a minor damage boost, but waiting for the inner surface of the wheels to glow will trigger "Top Gear," while perfect timing will cause "Overtop Gear." These two states increase the speed and power of Cavaliere's next attack, indicated by the glow on Cavaliere's blades changing color.
Its motorcycle form can also be used as a weapon with Swordmaster. Dante rides the motorcycle, performing doughnuts, wheelies, ramming it into the enemy.
Cavaliere R is a DLC alternative variant which features a new Swordmaster move, with the tradeoff of less effective "super armor" than the basic version. It can only be equipped after Dante acquires the regular Cavaliere: normally the player must choose to equip one or the other, though with the "Irregular Full Custom" skill unlocked after defeating Son of Sparda mode Dante can equip both at once. As a DLC weapon, Cavaliere R cannot be used in Bloody Palace mode: if the player tries a warning will appear, and if they disregard it they will start with Cavaliere R removed from their equipped weapons.
The Cavaliere is featured in Dante's Nendoroid figure.