- 1 List of Key Items
- 1.1 Rusty Key
- 1.2 Staff of Judgment
- 1.3 Pride of Lion
- 1.4 Death Sentence
- 1.5 Melancholy Soul
- 1.6 Guiding Light
- 1.7 Trident
- 1.8 Sign of Chastity
- 1.9 Chalice
- 1.10 Staff of Hermes
- 1.11 Emblem Shield
- 1.12 Pair of Lances
- 1.13 Luminite
- 1.14 Wheel of Destiny
- 1.15 Quicksilver
- 1.16 Philosopher's Egg & Elixir
- 1.17 Philosopher's Stone
- 2 Gallery
- 3 Background
- 4 References
List of Key Items
- The first key is found in the first mission in the hand of a seemingly lifeless puppet within the gatekeeper's room and is used to open the door to the hangar.
- The second key is found in Mission 2 embedded in the painting of a Grim Reaper within the library and is used to open the door to the courtyard.
- The final key is found within a pipe in the waterways in Mission 6, and is used to open a door further along them.
Staff of Judgment
Pride of Lion
A decorative sword that is said to be used for rituals, although its only in-game function is to act as a key to retrieve the Melancholy Soul from the Melancholy bust. It cannot be used as a weapon. It is found in Mission 4.
A strange ornament that is described as looking like a soul. It acts as the key into the castle's sewers, although it must be inserted into the door quickly, or else it will lose its power. A statue capable of restoring its power is located off from the fountain courtyard. It is found near the end of Mission 4, and becomes active at the beginning of Mission 5.
A scorching hot key that unlocks the sun door in the Castellan's bedroom that leads to a pathway under the Main Hall roof. It must be inserted quickly into the door however, or it will slowly kill Dante. It is found at the end of Mission 6 and becomes active at the start of Mission 7.
A decorative three-pronged pike used in rituals. It is used as a key to unlocking the portcullis in the castle. It cannot be used as a weapon. The Trident is found on the roof of the mansion in Mission 8 after defeating Phantom.
Sign of Chastity
A sacred goblet that apparently held the blood of the "divine dead."  It is found near the end of Mission 11.
Staff of Hermes
The symbol of a messenger god often used to represent alchemy, it acts as a key to opening two magical portals. It cannot be used as a weapon. The Staff of Hermes is found in Mission 13, but isn't used until Mission 16, where it activates the portals to other parts of the castle.
A small shield with a decorative skull emblem, it acts as a key to unlocking the doors either side of the entrance to the Coliseum. The Emblem Shield is found in Mission 14 and used in Mission 15.
Pair of Lances
A pair of small, but heavy-looking javelins held by the knight statues on the coliseum double doors which allow passage into the sacrificial grounds. They cannot be used as a weapon. The Pair of Lances are found and used in Mission 15.
Luminite is an ordinary Underworld stone that has become fluorescent when brought to the Human World. It can be found in Mission 15, located in whichever of the two Emblem Shield pathways Dante enters first, in a pile of rubble to one side of the staircase down. When Dante has picked it up, it will automatically light up the area immediately around him in dark places. While it is not directly used to unlock anything, the doors of the lower corridors containing the Pair of Lances and the Nightmare-β will not allow Dante through unless he has it.
Wheel of Destiny
A round, metal plate with engraving that represents destiny. Required to re-lower the drawbridge of the castle. Obtaining it at the end of Mission 15 ends the mission. It is used at the beginning of Mission 16 to lower the drawbridge and re-enter the castle.
Philosopher's Egg & Elixir
- Death Sentence's name and form imply it is based on a European executioner's sword: these were often very ornate, as the main goal was to make them heavy enough to sever the condemned's head in a single blow, and were not suited to combat.
- The Staff of Hermes, known as the caduceus, is a symbol of a winged rod and a pair of serpents that symbolised the Greek god Hermes. It later became associated with both the planet and element Mercury, and through the latter became associated with alchemy.
- The Philosopher's Stone and Elixir were two materials sought by alchemists, who sought to unlock the secret processes that had been used to create the world. The Philosopher's Stone was said to be capable of transfiguration, turning any element into any other element (the typical test would be attempting to transform "base metals" into gold). The Elixir was said to allow eternal life and youth, and sometimes also said to cure all diseases, though this was sometimes regarded as being a property of a third material.
- The Chalice is based upon the Holy Grail, which according to medieval literature, was used as a dish at the last supper, then retrieved by Joseph of Arimathea to collect Jesus Christ's blood as he hung on the cross.
- Devil May Cry, Items — Rusty Key: "This key is rusted but it should work."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Staff of Judgment: "A staff that shines with mysterious light."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Pride of Lion: "A sign of the strong. It allows confrontation with the Lion gatekeeper."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Death Sentence: "A decorative sword used for rituals. It cannot be used as a weapon."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Melancholy Soul: "An ornament resembling a soul. When activated, it loses its power over time."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Guiding Light: "A key that shines in ardor. It slowly drains the power of the possessor."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Trident: "A heavily decorated, three pronged pike that's used for rituals. It cannot be used as a weapon."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Sign of Chastity: "A taxidermic organ coated by crystal. Within it is the "sign of chastity" that's necessary for searching the chalice."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Chalice: "The cup which held the blood of the divine dead."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Staff of Hermes: "It's decorated with two snakes coiled onto the staff."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Emblem Shield: "A small shield. The emblem has the same shape as that of those sealing the doors of the coliseum."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Pair of Lances: "A pair of lances that's to be held by the knights who guard the gate. You cannot equip this item."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Luminite: "A mysterious stone that shines in the dark. An ordinary stone that exists in the Underworld has somehow, over time, gained different properties in the human world."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Wheel of Destiny: "A round plate resembling destiny's repetitive cycle."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Quicksilver: "A crystal ball filled with mercury. The mercury has lunar powers that will open sealed doors."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Philosopher's Egg: "A material used in alchemy."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Elixir: "It's the metamorphic form of the Philosopher's Egg. You can unseal the spells of the mirror."
- Devil May Cry, Items — Philosopher's Stone: "It is the key to unlocking the gate of the Underworld."