The King Cerberus is a tripartite nunchaku Devil Arm appearing in Devil May Cry 5 which originates from King Cerberus. It can stretch to incredible lengths, and is infused with the power of ice, fire and lightning, and can change its style with two additional modes: a fire bō staff and lightning chain forms. It is wielded by Dante during the course of the game.
Appearance and DescriptionEdit
King Cerberus has three possible shapes, depending on how it is used.
- Ice: Cerberus is presented as a three-handle nunchucks, connected to a metal ring. The parts seem to be joined by ethereal chains, allowing the weapon to be quickly swung. The tips of the nunchucks' rods end with non-thawing ice, which allows the wearer to control ice at one's will.
- Lightning: Cerberus loses its ring, the handles increase in length and they are now connected by lightning bolts, each section one after the other. This allows the weapon to be stretched and extended to large distances, which is what the strategy for this element is.
- Fire: The Cerberus segments transform into one long bo-quarterstaff that spews flame tongues out of its body. The reach of the weapon is between Ice and Lightning forms.
- Nico's Weapon Report - King Cerberus
- Dante used to have a Devil Arm called Cerberus way back when. If Dante went and turned that one in for an upgrade, this's what he'd end up with.
- The so-called king of the Cerberus clan wasn't just whistling Dixie, let me tell ya. This arm changes shape, releasing fire, ice, even lightning as it tears through everything in its path.
- As a craftsman, I'm pretty keen to figure out how you could cram all of those powers into this one slick weapon.
Ice Element boasts with the superiority in its use speed, which is practically instantaneous. Almost all of Ice Cerberus attacks are aimed to instant disability of a single enemy and quick beatings. What it lacks, though, is the short weapon reach. Player must get close to an enemy land a successful combo. Overall review
- + Great DPS
- + Short attack animation
- + Easy to use
- - Short range (shortest of all three)
- - Weak single combo damage
- - Doesn't have moves which would allow fast range cover between enemy and the player
Lightning Element is mainly the crowd control weapon. This particular form has absolute dominance in terms of weapon reach and area coverage. Attacks could easily take down even flying enemies. However, lightning has to be charged, which must take a moment. And so, cannot be used as fast as every other form.
- + Great weapon reach (longest of all three)
- + Short attack animation for almost all moves
- + Giant AoE attacks
- + Moderate DPS
- - Has to be charged
Fire Element is unique to the Swordmaster style and has a universal moveset. Balanced range, quickness and damage per move are the possible advantages. Few disadvantages are found, which could only be very few aerial skills (one to be specific), which could be problematic in a fight with flying demons.
- + Balanced stats
- + Universal moveset
- - Likely inability to damage flying enemies
- During the Satellite Crazy Combo, Dante will scream in high pitch as a nod towards Bruce Lee. Most of his normal attacks with Cerberus' ice-nunchaku form also have similar yells in Devil May Cry 5.
- When King Cerberus was first shown off along with Dante's other Devil Arms at New York Comic Con, the Devil Arm was originally just named Cerberus. Just like the Devil Arm in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening that King Cerberus is based on.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Devil May Cry 5, Devil Arms File — King Cerberus: "The power of King Cerberus dwells within this shapeshifting weapon, charging attacks with ice, fire and lightning in each form."