Kyrie (pronounced /ˈkir-ē-ˌā/) is a supporting character first appearing in Devil May Cry 4. Born and raised in Fortuna where she spent most of her days, she is the younger sister of the leader of the Order of the Sword's Holy Knights, Credo, and songstress for the Festival of the Sword. Kyrie is the childhood friend of Nero, as well as his love interest. The love between Kyrie and Nero seems to have started before the events of Devil May Cry 4, but their love is used as a major plot point on several occasions during the game against Nero.
Kyrie has auburn hair that is normally worn back with a gold and white beret. At the midpoint of the game, Kyrie wears her hair down, reaching several inches past her collarbone. Her bangs are worn short and parted, with most of it swooping over her right eye and several strains swooping over her left eye. She also has longer strains of hair from her bangs that frame her face that are about the length of her nose. She has hazel eyes, appearing brown at the center and fading into a moss green at the outer rim of her iris. Her skin is also fairly pale. She was noted as being, "beautiful" by Nico in her journal entry about Kyrie.
Her attire in Devil May Cry 4 is a white dress worn traditionally during the Festival of the Blade by women part of the Order of the Sword. While not a knight, Kyrie's position in the festival is highly regarded as essential in order for the ceremony to commence, much like how hymns of worship open a religious sermon in church. The dress features a cream colored chest piece, framed in black fabric and ribbed. The cuffs of the dress are also in the same cream color. Black buttons with intricate rose engravings run from her collar bone done to her décolletage. The black framing is also found around her arms. Below the buttons is the sigil found commonly among members of the Order of the Sword and the worshipers of Sparda. Intricate gold patterns decorate her sleeves and along the seams of the dress. The pattern features the same sigil. To finish her attire, Kyrie wears knee high brown boots with gold trimming.
Kyrie's makeup is kept fairly simple. Her lips are nude, but appear to be glossy with a faint pink hue. Her nails are long and delicate, having no visible color to them but are in the style of a French manicure.
During her song Out of Darkness, Kyrie is wearing traditional jewelry. The headpiece is gold and intricate, with swirling carvings and cutouts found in it's design. The headpiece is akin to Sparda's horns in his demonic visage. She also wears golden dangling earrings with a blue gem dangling from each end. Over her arms, she wears a black lace shawl with intricate patterning, akin to the red shawl Eva wears in the same fashion.
At the beginning of Devil May Cry 4, Nero gifts Kyrie a golden necklace, featuring a seraphic-like, albeit with four wings instead of six, central piece with a red crystal held in place by two overlapping wings. Kyrie loses this necklace after Nero fights Agnus but is given the necklace back by Nero at the end of the game when he puts it on her.
Kyrie is typically the gentle angel-like person that calms the otherwise brash Nero. She values him deeply which became the reason why they became lovers.
Ever since Credo's death, she took it upon herself to stay by Nero's side, and left the Order of the Sword to be a part of Nero's branch of Devil May Cry. However, she doesn't join any of Nero's actions, preferring to stay home and look after the orphanage they operate.
Kyrie is implied to have an affinity with children.
Devil May Cry 4: Deadly FortuneEdit
(Note: The Devil May Cry 4: Deadly Fortune novel depicts the events that happen before, during, and after the events of Devil May Cry 4 with some changes.)
| Got to clean up the mess father left behind. |
This section of the article is a stub. You can help by .
At the beginning of the game she is seen singing Out of Darkness at an Order of the Sword gathering, occasionally glancing at the empty pew where Nero is supposed to be. Nero appears just before the song ends, and he hands her a small gift as she comes to sit beside him while Sanctus explains the history of Sparda's rebellion against Mundus and his demon brethren. As the people begin to pray, Dante crashes in and shoots Sanctus, causing widespread panic which briefly separates Nero from Kyrie. She drops the gift given to her in the confusion, and it is quickly trampled. As Dante approaches her brother Credo, Kyrie is knocked down and cowers in fear before Nero comes to her rescue. Credo orders Nero to hold off the assassin while he takes Kyrie to safety and fetches help. After Nero's skirmish with the Devil Hunter, Kyrie brings him his custom sword. While he prepares it for battle, she locates the contents of her package - a necklace - and puts it on. Afterwards, she goes with Credo as Nero investigates the demon uprising that Dante reportedly caused.
Kyrie is not seen for a long while until she is brought to the duel between her brother and Nero by Agnus. Here, she discovers Nero's Devil Bringer arm that he had been hiding from her. Scared and confused, she does not resist as Agnus captures her and flees the scene. Later on, she is seen as a captive in some kind of magic cage in Agnus's room, where Nero attempts to rescue her. Just when it seems as if Nero has won, as the newly resurrected Sanctus enters the scene, stops him, and takes Kyrie away. Nero strikes out with rage as he tries to break free from the Bianco Angelos that attempt to stall him. He reaches out to grab her, but is only just able to grasp her necklace instead.
Sanctus then takes Kyrie to The Savior, where she is absorbed into its head. This is a ploy by Sanctus to lure Nero into joining her in forming The Savior's core; when Nero refuses, Sanctus and Nero battles. Nero almost wins, but Sanctus makes Kyrie to appear in his place, causing Nero to falter and allowing Sanctus to defeat him.
Kyrie is not seen again until the last mission where she is being kept deep inside of the core of the Savior in a fleshy prison. Nero comes to her rescue and promptly defeats Sanctus Diabolica. The madman threatens to kill her if he advances further, but Nero tosses the Yamato to the false prophet to distract him, then slams him into a wall with the Devil Bringer. With a swift cut from the Yamato, Nero frees Kyrie and impales Sanctus, killing him. Nero escapes the confines of the Savior with Kyrie safe and sound. Sanctus returns as the False Savior, but Nero quickly attends to the matter by pulverizing the twisted visage of the statue while Dante and Kyrie watch.
After settling matters with Dante, Nero approaches Kyrie cautiously, unsure of how she will react to his demonic powers. She responds by taking his Devil Bringer in her hands and expresses her desire to be with him, regardless of his nature. The two almost exchange a kiss, but some Scarecrows show up to interrupt the moment. Kyrie patiently waits for Nero as he attends to the matter.
After the post-battle credits, Kyrie and Nero watch some birds fly over the city, with Kyrie taking the Devil Bringer in her hand. In Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition, the ending cutscene for the Lady/Trish campaign shows the two girls, accompanied by Dante, arriving at the scene where Nero and Kyrie are about to kiss, while the kiss is not shown on-screen, the dialogue of the trio implies that this time there was no abrupt interruption.
| Got to clean up the mess father left behind. |
This section of the article is a stub. You can help by .
After the Order of the Sword incident, Kyrie started living with Nero. When a mysterious cloaked demon attacked him, Nero tells Kyrie go back inside. Once Nero's arm is removed, Kyrie runs to him and comforts him.
Later in the game, after Nero finds out about Vergil and his relation to him, he calls Kyrie in search for help on how to handle the whole situation, stating that he had nothing as a child, and that Kyrie and Credo were everything to him, and now suddenly he has a family (being Dante and Vergil). Kyrie responds to him saying that Nero has always known what was the right thing to do, which gives him the confidence he needed to face Vergil at the top of the Qliphoth.
Devil May Cry 4Edit
- Character - Kyrie
- A young woman who has treated Nero, an orphan, like family since they were both children. Her devout and kind nature has earned her the trust of those around her. She's also a skilled singer and, as such, was selected to be the songstress for the Festival of the Blade. Her exact relationship with Nero is unclear, at once being his family, friend, and even lover.
Devil May Cry 5Edit
- Profiles - Kyrie
- Every once in a while you'll meet a lady so kind people call her a living saint. Well, I can safely say that in all my years on God's green earth, I ain't never met a girl that fit the bill like this here Kyrie.
- These days you can find her looking after the little ones in an orphanage on Fortuna. After all the awful things that went down on that island, it's safe to say she's just about the only thing holding them poor folks together.
- And don't get me started on how beautiful she is. She'd be beating the boys back with a stick if it wasn't for Nero. Don't know what a sweet girl like that's doing with a punk like him, but hey... ain't none of my business. Different strokes, I reckon.
Appearances in Other MediaEdit
Kyrie is featured in two unlockable cards, one being of unit type and the other being of action type. Both are green cards.
- The lures used by Bael & Dagon in Devil May Cry 4 were made using Kyrie's nude model.
- Stephanie Sheh, Kyrie's voice actress, also plays Orihime Inoue in Bleach and Eureka in Eureka Seven. In both, Johnny Yong Bosch, Nero's voice actor, plays her love interests, Ichigo Kurosaki and Renton Thurston respectively. Kyrie's dress is also similar to Orihime's once she is captured by the Arrancars and in Ulquiorra's care.
- In the description of the Devil Breaker "Sweet Surrender" Kyrie is noted as the sole reason the arm was crafted. In the description it reads: "A Devil Breaker made with Kyrie in mind. The pliable materials are gentle on the skin, and it vibrates to sooth away pain." Possibly implying Kyrie suffered from an injury that continues to cause her pain well into Devil May Cry 5 from Devil May Cry 4, or to help with pain brought on from the rambunctious children at the orphanage she volunteers at as seen in Devil May Cry 5: Before the Nightmare.
- ↑ TGS 2018 - Sep 22, 2018 Livestream
- ↑ Devil May Cry 4, Character — Kyrie: "Kind and loyal, Kyrie is trusted by everyone. She is renowned for her musical ability, and has earned her the coveted role of songstress for the Festival of the Blade. Having accepted Nero into her family, their relationship can resemble that of brother, friend, and lover all in one."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 5: Before the Nightmare
- ↑ Devil May Cry: 3142 Graphic Arts. p.127