The exterior of the Leviathan appears as a hybrid of a whale and an eel. It takes on three tail fins in the back and facial features similar to a baleen whale with dozens of sharp teeth and an eye capable of being bypassed when its prey utilizes a sharp enough tool, like Dante's Rebellion. Its body is noticeably long.
In the internal part of its body, the Leviathan is comprised of abnormal systems, much like a demon is deformed. Its intestines are very enormous, and each part of the entrance way has two Gigapedes, with several demons appearing in the other areas, each intestine is linked to its stomach. Its stomach is filled with debris and its fibers grow over it and create a landscape that can be traveled around the large mounds, it has sections guarded by vulnerable "horned pustules" that must be destroyed in order to progress to its intestines. In its Retina possesses the "Ignus Fatuus" which is covered in flesh at the center, there are also parts of brain matter seen at the walls but only one eye shows the outside world. Near the area of its Heart, there is a wall where the said item can be placed, allowing passage to the three component parts of Leviathan's heart. The Hell Envies themselves appear in five groups.
Leviathan is a biological weapon created by the Devil-King. Its body is a gateway to the Hell of Envy, and the souls of those sent to Hell for jealousy are its power source. Sparda sealed it away along with Temen-ni-gru, but it is released by Vergil and Arkham.
Leviathan swallows Dante as he is running down the tower after awakening his Devil Trigger, and Dante wanders throughout its entire body until he slays the beast's heart, causing it to die and fall onto the Subterranean Garden. Dante then escapes out of its eye.
Leviathan is a water-dwelling creature mentioned in the Old Testament, described as a gigantic creature that cannot be killed by man, but at the end of time, God will kill it and the Behemoth, and its flesh will be served to the righteous at a banquet in a tent made from its skin. Scholars largely believe the extended description in Job 41:1-34 is a bronze-age account of a Nile Crocodile, with some embellishments such as the ability to breathe fire. Leviathan's role as a gateway to the Hell of Envy also references the concept of the Hellmouth.
- During the design concept of the Leviathan, Daigo Ikeno was told to make a whale, but he instead wanted it to it look more like a dragon instead. The design of the whale stayed however.[excerpt 1]
- In Devil May Cry 5 Official Art Works, it has a Leviathan as the enemy's original design.
- In the concept design of DmC: Devil May Cry, there is a whale-like demon similar to Leviathan.
- ↑ I was told to make a whale. I would've liked to make its body longer and thinner, like a dragon, but... nope. It's a whale. (Ikeno)
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Boss Room- Mission 18 "Evil God-beast Reborn"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Character File — Leviathan: "A biological weapon of sorts created by the Devil-king. It, like the tower, was sealed away by Sparda but freed by someone as of late. Its body is a gateway to the hell of jealousy."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, Item File — Ignis Fatuus: "Souls of those sent to hell for the sin of envy. They are Leviathan's energy source."
- ↑ Devil May Cry: 3142 Graphic Arts. p.030