Mancer Demons are lesser demons encountered in Devil May Cry 2. They are relatively weak demons that use magical, ranged attacks. Dante encounters the first type of this demon family in Mission 2, and Lucia encounters her first Mancer demon in Mission 7.
All Mancer demons are wraith-like demons associated with different elements. They appear as skeleton-like creatures in a hood and cape. Originally, these evil spirits were the souls of those who had been condemned as heretics for practicing the magic arts, especially witchcraft. They usually swings their staves when about to attack, and some of them teleport while others stand still. There are three types of Mancers seen in Devil May Cry 2. When they die, they scream wildly as they vanish, spewing a red, blood-like substance.
Pyromancers appear to be the souls of the dead who have been condemned as heretics. These sorcerers appear in front of the player and summon fire. Just batter them with attacks once they appear. They are associated with the Fire element.
Auromancers summon an aura and projectiles to use as a means of attack. The aura projectiles do the same as those yellow ones summoned by Goat Clansmen; they will certainly chase you. Use guns to defeat them, as it might be hard to slash them since they summon auras to protect themselves. They are associated with the Wind element.
Brontmancers use lightning to erratically attack their opponents. It seems to look as common as the Pyromancer and the Auromancers, but this is trickier to attack. Make sure to use melee attacks to prevent it from casting. They are associated with the Lightning element.
The suffix "-mancer" derives from Greek via Latin, with the original form (dating back to the 3rd Century AD) being "necromancy" (Latin: necromantia) referring to the use of dead bodies to perform divination. Over time "necromancer" took on the meaning of one who has magical powers related to the dead, and through this came the idea of adding other Greek or Latin prefixes to "-mancer" to indicate other forms of mage.
Accordingly, each Mancer Demon uses one type of elemental magic:
- Pyromancer comes from Greek pyr, "fire";
- Auromancer comes from Aura, a Greek goddess of the breeze, but the name is also similar to aeras, "air";
- Brontmancer comes from Greek βροντή (usually rendered in English as brontē), "thunder".
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Enemy File — Pyromancer: "A soul of the dead who had been condemned as a heretic has turned into this evil entity."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Enemy File — Auromancer: "They use the unhallowed aura to indiscriminately attack an opponent that appears before them."
- ↑ Devil May Cry 2, Enemy File — Brontomancer: "An evil entity that attacks opponents randomly."