The Order of the Sword (魔剣教団 Maken Kyōdan?) is a religious organization that believes that long ago, Sparda served as the feudal lord in Fortuna and worship him with the objective to eradicate all demons in his name.
Base of OperationsEdit
The main headquarters of the Order is an immense fortress on the eastern side of the island, built above the ocean itself.
The Order has an extensive research division, which not only develops anti-demon weapons, like Durandal and Caliburn swords, but also explores magical field. They use this knowledge to create their own artificial demons, among many other uses.
As can be expected from the name, the Order's weapon of choice is a sword. The ones the the Holy Knights presently use were designed by Agnus, the Order's Chief Alchemist. These anti-demon weapons feature a combustion engine, which, when revved, allow for powerful sword strikes. There are two variations of this design:
- Caliburn - Standard weapons of the Order's Knights. They features a slimmer blade than the officer's Durandal.
- Durandal - Officers' swords. Credo's sword is a Durandal, as is Nero's, although his Red Queen is a heavily modified variant.
Demons created by the Order to support their ranks.
- Cutlass - A demon made from combining fish and a blade, it can cut through the earth and metal with its powerful fin-blade.
- Gladius - A reptilian flying demon that can take the shape of a large sword. It is wielded by Agnus as his preferred weapon.
- Basilisk - A dog-shaped demon capable of launching its head like a fireball.
- Alto & Bianco Angelos - Artificial demons created by animating a hollow shell using demon and human souls.
- The Savior - A gigantic, immensely powerful demon, created in the image of Sparda by melding together millennia of demonic matter and spirit. It is pivotal to the Order's plans.
- Ascension Ceremony - A process devised by the Order in order to empower its subjects. If successful, it grants the participants supernatural powers and angelic appearance, although in reality they only become demons.
- Hell Gates - By making the smaller copies of the real Hell Gate and powering them with the powerful Devil Arms, The Order was able to open pathways to the Demon World. They use them as an endless supply of demons.
- Chrono Slicers - Time-manipulating devices requiring the Key of Cronus to function. Most of them are just prototypes and operate only for a limited period of time.
- Laser Barriers - These defense mechanisms are composed of rapid-moving lasers, these are encountered in the Headquarters of the Order.
- Gyro Blade - Large powerful artifacts shaped into top-like structures. They are capable of mobility only with the use of the Anima Mercury.
- Jump Pads - Pads that allow the user to reach greater heights. They can only be used when the Wing Talisman is nearby.
Before Devil May Cry 4Edit
The Order has been collecting Devil Arms for some time before the game, in order to create minor Hell Gates across the island. In turn, the Gates were needed to summon demons and thus provide the Order with the material to build their own artificial demons (the Angelos and other lesser demons), power the Ascension Ceremony, as well as complete The Savior.
The Order was headed by Sanctus, the holy priest of the Order and Vicar of Sparda who is killed by Dante at the beginning of the game. He was later resurrected through the Ascension Ceremony. After his death at the hands of Nero however, the Order of the Sword became an autonomous group with no real leader. The Knights of the Order were previously lead by the previous Supreme Commander, Credo. Knights all wear uniform clothes and swords, designed by Agnus, the Order's former Chief Alchemist.
|Sanctus||Ruler of the Order; Vicar of Sparda||Deceased|
|Credo||Supreme General of the Holy Knights||Deceased|
|Gloria (ruse)||Holy Knight Executive||Defected|