The Reach for the Moon Engine, abbreviated as RE Engine and commonly nicknamed as the "Resident Evil Engine" by fans is the engine used to create Devil May Cry 5. It was developed by Capcom specifically for the making of Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.
Devil May Cry 5 uses photorealistic graphics thanks to the RE Engine, all models in the game were taken from real actors who were scanned via a 3D photoshoot. The clothing the characters wear in the game were also scanned from real clothing which were made in London and scanned in Serbia, then had the data sent to the development staff in Osaka. Nero's jacket in Devil May Cry 5 costed as much as a small car to make, the jacket was carefully selected so it would reflect well in-game.
For character expressions, Capcom used the latest facial technology developed by the Serbian company called 3Lateral, the movement in the game uses motion capture and after that's done, the voice actors record their lines based on the existing video, which makes it easier for them to understand the character's emotions. The same happened with the facial motions, they were also recorded separately from the body motion capture, so the developers had to sync everything together, which proved to be much harder than ever according to audio director Kakunoshin Atsumi.
Since the character models are very realistic, Capcom had to take special care of the animations in the game so they don't fall into the "uncanny valley of character movements", the new updated models would look unnatural performing the over-the-top animations, so Capcom has to tweak the animations to make them less "anime-like", because of this, some animations would end up having too much preparatory motions for some movements and again they had to go back and re-do the whole thing until the controls felt responsive.
- The engine's full name is "Reach for the moon", which is referenced by its logo and name, with "RE" taken from the first two letters of the word "reach".
- Jun Takeuchi directed Hideaki Itsuno to use the RE Engine in order for Devil May Cry 5 to scream quality just by looking at it. Takeuchi wanted the game to be relevant for the present and not just rely on its past glory.
- Hideaki Itsuno 伊津野 英昭 - Capcom Channel June 20th 2018 - DMC5 デビル メイ クライ 5 - Japanese Audio (original)
- 『デビル メイ クライ 5』は平成最後にして最高のアクションゲームになる！ 岡部P＆ウォーカーPが語る【E3 2018】 | Famitsu
- 『デビル メイ クライ 5』のキーマンに直撃。RE ENGINEで復活するスタイリッシュアクションの魅力とは？ - Dengeki Online
- PAX West 2018 | Twitch Town Hall - PAX3
- V_Jump - Twitter
- hirokichi_kanji - Twitter
- Capcom 2018 Annual Report - "The Heart of Value Creation"
- Devil May Cry 5 - Design Philosophy
- DMC5's Matt Walker talks Crew Cut, Turbo Mode, inertia and Dante dance
- CGWORLD vol.249（2019年5月号）、4月10日（水）発売！ メイン特集は進化するゲームグラフィックス＆VRミステリーアドベンチャーゲーム『東京クロノス』！ | CG・映像の専門情報サイト | CGWORLD.jp