|I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiight!|
|This article is a stub and is missing information. You can help the Devil May Cry wiki by expanding it.|
Shadow is somewhat like the original demon that Dante encountered during his battle with Mundus, both in terms of appearance and behavior. It is much more clearly defined, taking the form of a large panther (as opposed to a saber-tooth cat) with enormously muscular forelimbs that give it a bulldog-like build, and red eyes with visible white scelera. Its body features glowing lines pulsating faintly whenever it moves.
Like its original incarnation, Shadow attacks by morphing either parts of itself or its entire body, forming into spinning blades, whip-like tendrils, spears and the like. V can ride on Shadow to dodge or when using the Quickplay ability to travel faster. Shadow has its own health bar and can take damage from enemies.
Unlike a regular Shadow, it does not possess an immunity to physical attacks when fully formed, nor will it generate spikes to defend its core. It also lacks the deadly final self-destruct attack of its Mallet Island counterpart.
If its vitality is depleted entirely, it regresses into its inert core form (as a normal Shadow would if severely damaged) in a state known as "stalemate". Shadow can revive itself fairly quickly over time to return V's side. V can hasten its regeneration by standing near the core or by summoning Nightmare which will instantly revive any downed familiar. Shadow can be further upgraded to increase its vitality and regeneration rate during stalemate.
Shadow maintains the personality of an attack dog, aggressive yet disciplined and always awaiting for V to give the order before he attacks. In Nico's reports, she notes that Shadow is very docile around V, despite belonging to a demon species known for being aggressive towards humans, and often naps around him.
Though loyal to both V and Vergil, all three familiars recognize their continued existence will only bring him pain, so once they have outlived their usefulness, they intercepted and attacked Dante, forcing him to kill them.
After V merges with Urizen to become Vergil, Shadow and his fellow familars fight Dante as he makes his way to the top of the Qliphoth to confront his brother but are summarily defeated by the devil hunter. This was their intention all along however, as they wanted to put an end to Vergil's pain and grant their former master some measure of peace.
- Devil May Cry 5 promo site
- The Familiars
- Shadow & Griffon
- V's combat potential is practically nonexistent, so he relies on these demons to lay waste to his foes—Shadow for close combat, and Griffon for ranged attacks. Once these two lay on enough pain, it's up to V to put his enemies to rest with his trusty cane.
- This demon familiar usually takes the form of a quadruped beast, only to shapeshift into blades, needles, and all manner of nasty weapons to act as a vanguard. Through Shadow, V can also move at faster speeds than normal.
- Nico's Character Report - Shadow
- One of the demons that keeps V from gettin' himself killed.
- Seems to stick to the whole big black cat motif for the most part, but it can shift shape when it wants to.
- Again, the old texts collected by the Order of the Sword talk about a beast just like this one, only it never would have played nice with a human.
- Around V, though, this thing's as meek as a buttercup in a breeze. And don't tell me it's just 'cause V's good with animals.
Shadow appears as V's Passive skill, it changes Regular Attacks to the following effect: inflicts Almighty (Mag) damage on a single target.
In the story mode, before Dante fights V, V actually calls upon Shadow by name, which is something he never did in Devil May Cry 5.
- The classic Shadow's weakness is also present in this version, when fighting against Shadow in Mission 18, it can use its Skewer attack and if Dante stands on the spear and shoots at it, it will instantly get stalemated.
- Shadow's theme (Silent Siren) when Dante fights him in Mission 18 is a remix of Shadow's theme in Devil May Cry (PSYCHO SIREN).