FANDOM


  • We all got a opinion about DmC Devil may cry some love some hate and some stand in between but i keep wondering what would have happend if the game turned out diferent and by different i mean good so i made some research seeing what was the downsides but also the upsides and came up with some conclusions of what could have been done about the game (This is just someone personal opinion not a profetional or a pro player just a fan of the series)

    Obs: any text errors forgive me im not a writer or fluent in english

    Dante

    We all got problems with the new look of dante and not just the look his personality as well

    The biggest problem with his look was his hair not really the haircut but the color of his hair being black rather than white like in the original which was done with the solo purpose of having a explanation with why his hair was white which was a stupid and dumb decision

    The white hair is a signature look of the character removing it is like taking wolverine claws off

    But what most people had a problem with it was his personality

    He looked like the definition of cool of a 13 years old in general

    but in what way could that be fixed? well he made a cameo in the game playstation all star and in the cutscenes he show a more serius and focused personality if we played as that dante we could have liked him better in DmC https://youtu.be/1HJc_iLprF4

    Story

    The consepts and ideas were great but they were executed with a lack of originality,lots of plot holes and cringy dialogues

    But could the story be bette executed?

    1: Remove the order: There was absolutely no point in them in the first place

    2: Change kat backstory: Rather than have vergil rescuing her make it so that dante was the one that did it and she helps him out of gratidute and some type of emotional depency towards him

    3: Remove vergil: Vergil was the worst character in the game he went from massive badass and likeable villain to a manipualtive pussy that convince dante to do all his work for him if you gonna mess a character so much don´t put him in the game insted have him mentioned

    i would  have made dante mention to kat that he erased vergil memories so he dosen´t know about the demons or their parents death

    4: Use the original but story of sparda and eva: i don´t even have to say why do i?

    5: Explore more of dante angel side: it was a good idea but poorly executed maybe make it so that dante embraces his angel power rather than his devil ones

    6: Changing the subliminal messages for more creative ones: i mean bob barbas was good but the soda one was kinda of dull

    7: Make it mundus true form demoniac: seriouly he looked like the thing from fantastic four in the original he was a god like creature this is pathetic

    8: More badass moments for dante: i don´t know about you guys but the original dante had a lot of over the top moments but they were fun to watch the new one are dull and lame for most part

    9: Less plot holes

    10: A Better ending (Extra: Change that wig joke from "Not in a million years" to "Maybe next time"

    Gameplay

    Now don´t get me wrong the gameplay was the upside of this game but the problem was that they changed the challenged based combat to a casual based one meaning

    the game is easy there is not much challenge the enemys are easy to beat and the bosses aren´t very challenge 

    Devil may cry is a game that you have to pratice to get good at it and they removed on this one that´s my only problem with the gameplay for me

    Those were my opinions and suggestions i know a lot of them sound stupid but it´s just my opinion im a huge fan of the devil may cry series and i hope it didn´t die because of DmC

      Loading editor
    • Dante 1) Make him like the original or the apathetic, angry type. He is this unbearable douche who thinks being an asshole makes him edgy but it just shows that hr lacks the wit that made OGDante great.

      2) Make his angel side relevant. His whole shtick is he his half angel but his super mode brings out his demonic power only?? And Phineas said Nephilim could freely travel between the realms, so yea, give him that.

      Story

      1) Kill Sparda. No one gives much of a damn that he is being forever tortured in a prison or mentions him at all past that point. May as well be dead.

      2) Lets make Kat idk, useful? She serve as Dante's bus to and from Limbo but he should have that power, so after 3-4 missions he learns how to and Kat does other stuff. Since she is a medium amd a witch, she should have all kimds of magic powers. Lets get rid of the squirrel jizz and have her performing spells primarily by connevting woth the energies around her. For self defence she can have cans of spray paint with spells with energies for specific spells, like a can that sprays fire or lightning. She should be a more stealth oriented character used for recon or infiltration. She shouldnt be dependant on Dante, she should actually be more independant but loyal and attatched to Vergil given their past. Like imagine her doing some stuff outta Bleach like Kido and warping in and out Limbo like Bayonetta. She has shown the ability to make temporary changes to Limbo's physics. Mundus would catch her when she tries to escape into/out of Limbo during a recon outing.

      3) Mundus should not be a banker. Or he can stay a banker, but he shouldnt rule the world through debt. Why does he only have 2 generals? The game mentions politicians are demons so why is he blackmailing the president? He should already be a demon under Mundus' command.

      His true form shouldnt be a stupid glob golem Thing wannabe. It should be hidden underground and his towers should be the wings of his true form. The reason he is "immortal" should be because his human body isnt his real body, not cuz of the Hellgate...

      4) SPEAKING OF THE HELLGATE! The way it works in DmC makes no damn sense. So while it is open, Limbo is seperate from the human world, but closing it merges Limbo with the human world? Closing the gate brings the alternate dimension CLOSER???

      5) Vergil should be better executed. If he is trying to take Mundus' place he needs to be more secretive. His biggest problem with him was that he casually mentions this at the end as if he thought everyone would be fine with it, but he never mentioned it before despite being so straight forward with everything. Have Dante ask what happens after freeing Mundus after Phineas asks about someone taking his place, and have him give an answer that has a subtextual answer. There should be some dead demons in the control room to hint that he has some skill in combat. He shoudlnt be surprised that Dante wont join him as the new rulers, he should expect it but be disappointed that he cant bring Dante to his side.

      6) The Order should actually be bigger than it is. Despite being an underground group of Freedom Fighters, it should expand almost around the globe, especially if Vergil has plans to rule the world. The Order should serve as a network that Vergil planned on using to hold together his global empire. Lets face it, without some sort of organization, Vergil has no real way of holding his thrown.

      Gameplay: make it more like DMC4. Nuff said.

        Loading editor
    • LegionZero wrote:
      Dante

      1) Make him like the original or the apathetic, angry type. He is this unbearable douche who thinks being an asshole makes him edgy but it just shows that hr lacks the wit that made OGDante great.

      2) Make his angel side relevant. His whole shtick is he his half angel but his super mode brings out his demonic power only?? And Phineas said Nephilim could freely travel between the realms, so yea, give him that.

      Story

      1) Kill Sparda. No one gives much of a damn that he is being forever tortured in a prison or mentions him at all past that point. May as well be dead.

      2) Lets make Kat idk, useful? She serve as Dante's bus to and from Limbo but he should have that power, so after 3-4 missions he learns how to and Kat does other stuff. Since she is a medium amd a witch, she should have all kimds of magic powers. Lets get rid of the squirrel jizz and have her performing spells primarily by connevting woth the energies around her. For self defence she can have cans of spray paint with spells with energies for specific spells, like a can that sprays fire or lightning. She should be a more stealth oriented character used for recon or infiltration. She shouldnt be dependant on Dante, she should actually be more independant but loyal and attatched to Vergil given their past. Like imagine her doing some stuff outta Bleach like Kido and warping in and out Limbo like Bayonetta. She has shown the ability to make temporary changes to Limbo's physics. Mundus would catch her when she tries to escape into/out of Limbo during a recon outing.

      3) Mundus should not be a banker. Or he can stay a banker, but he shouldnt rule the world through debt. Why does he only have 2 generals? The game mentions politicians are demons so why is he blackmailing the president? He should already be a demon under Mundus' command.

      His true form shouldnt be a stupid glob golem Thing wannabe. It should be hidden underground and his towers should be the wings of his true form. The reason he is "immortal" should be because his human body isnt his real body, not cuz of the Hellgate...

      4) SPEAKING OF THE HELLGATE! The way it works in DmC makes no damn sense. So while it is open, Limbo is seperate from the human world, but closing it merges Limbo with the human world? Closing the gate brings the alternate dimension CLOSER???

      5) Vergil should be better executed. If he is trying to take Mundus' place he needs to be more secretive. His biggest problem with him was that he casually mentions this at the end as if he thought everyone would be fine with it, but he never mentioned it before despite being so straight forward with everything. Have Dante ask what happens after freeing Mundus after Phineas asks about someone taking his place, and have him give an answer that has a subtextual answer. There should be some dead demons in the control room to hint that he has some skill in combat. He shoudlnt be surprised that Dante wont join him as the new rulers, he should expect it but be disappointed that he cant bring Dante to his side.

      6) The Order should actually be bigger than it is. Despite being an underground group of Freedom Fighters, it should expand almost around the globe, especially if Vergil has plans to rule the world. The Order should serve as a network that Vergil planned on using to hold together his global empire. Lets face it, without some sort of organization, Vergil has no real way of holding his thrown.

      Gameplay: make it more like DMC4. Nuff said.

      A lot of great points

      Glad to hear it

      Honestly this game had a lot of potential but wasted

        Loading editor
    • The angel transformation was scrapped, it's in the concept art. What can ya do.

        Loading editor
    • Well, I know that this topic is already old, but I will comment anyway ~~

      I personally like more of the classic franchise, much more, than the reboot, but I played anyway and I believe that this game may not have made a Dante like the old ones for a reason: build the character again

      At the beginning we see an immature Dante, with a concept of "cool " quite... meh. But as the story progresses to the confrontation against Vergil, we can see that it changes a little, and it gets closer to the Dante we know, maybe not exactly the same, but more mature, less irritating

      If we had a DmC 2 that would start with:

      -Dante with long and white hair, as in the classic

      -He and Kat opening the Devil May Cry and starting to hunt demons

      -Dante is about 2-5 years older and his personality is already the end of the previous game and continues to improve.

      We'd have a start, let's say... acceptable, don't you agree?

      About his DT, I thought of this explanation:

      -Initially the DT does not change Dante's appearance because he has not yet discovered all his powers, but in a second game would already be different and he assumes a demonic form

      I even thought of an Angel Trigger (lol), since he is half demon (Devil Trigger) and half Angel (Angel Trigger). And the Majin Form would be the union of both in a state that would manifest the true power of a Nephilim

        Loading editor
    • You really cant fix Dante from DmC anymore...  Even if you were to change his personality in DmC 2, the estabilished lore and his previous acts cant be changed. Besides I'm not the one that hated DmC because of Dante, but because of everything from Combat to Lore perspectives. You can improve Dante, Combat... But Lore and world will stay the same. 

      Ah whos idea it was to make Dante Half Angel, Half Demon? It's idiotic.

        Loading editor
    • I've seen people say that being half human should have made Dante weaker than complete demons, so they put him in a hybrid to make more sense.

      But that's an argument from someone who didn't understand the series, because being half human is something important to Dante and his power

        Loading editor
    • Thos people who think Dante should be weaker because of his human side must have forgotten his father was one of the strongest beings to ever exist -.-

      @meshifuari: the real idiot is the one who decided to call the angel-demon hybrid a nephilim. Nephilim are the children of angel fathers and human mothers.

        Loading editor
    • LegionZero wrote:
      Thos people who think Dante should be weaker because of his human side must have forgotten his father was one of the strongest beings to ever exist -.-

      Now, no one mentioned Dante being weak, but weaker than his father due to being only half-demon... Which was correct in DMC3 & 1. He eventually surpassed Sparda with time... but at the start of canonical events (DMC), he was weaker, which makes sense.

      I think it's been stated that normal half-demons in lore of DMC series were way weaker than their parents and even threated with disgust by other demons... Dante is probably the only Half-Breed who has surpassed his own demonic parent. But we both have to agree that while the human side of Dante held him back at the start of the series, it was also a reason why he was able to develop so much and actually surpass the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda.

        Loading editor
    • Meshifuari Arimota wrote: Now, no one mentioned Dante being weak, but weaker than his father due to being only half-demon... Which was correct in DMC3 & 1. He eventually surpassed Sparda with time... but at the start of canonical events (DMC), he was weaker, which makes sense.

      Dante Demon Killah said he heard other people say that about Dante. No one here did


      Meshifuari Arimota wrote:

      I think it's been stated that normal half-demons in lore of DMC series were way weaker than their parents and even threated with disgust by other demons... Dante is probably the only Half-Breed who has surpassed his own demonic parent. But we both have to agree that while the human side of Dante held him back at the start of the series, it was also a reason why he was able to develop so much and actually surpass the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda.

      Well, according to History of Devil May Cry, Fante is still trying to live up to Sparda's legacy. Whether or not this means his power or feats isn't made clear.

        Loading editor
    • I didn't complain about the gameplay in DmC it was okay compared to DMC2 at the very least. I was put-off by Dante's retcon appearance at first but it didn't stop me from playing the game. What pissed me off was his drastic personality change, (Ninja Theory probably thought yay! Profanity!) the fact that the twins are Nephilim and the whole story as a whole. Those were cringeworthy IMO. At that point I was actually glad it wasn't canon.

        Loading editor
    • Neither the appearance of Dante reboot was something good in my view, I only played the Definitive Edition in which already comes unlocked his classic skins

      I refused to play that Dante, but Vergil design was kinda "okay"

        Loading editor
    • I don't think Dante's appearance in DmC is good too. I just learned to ignore it to at least try out the game. So far it proved too unbearable when combined with his similarly cringeworthy personality and the bad story and lore. The only thing I found decent was the gameplay. 

        Loading editor
    • Mrtyrant wrote:

      The white hair is a signature look of the character removing it is like taking wolverine claws off

      But wolverine has an origins before his powers........he was still Logan, and a badass.

      I'm an advocate of the changes to Dante, though. If it was still THE Dante underneath it all, he could look and act a bit different and I'd be onboard. I think they just strayed a little too far, too many changes in every way.

      I could see him being a bit of an edgelord before he grew up and having black hair until he goes full super saiyan or whatever they were going for, but everything else they tacked on (being an angel, full personality shift, mundus & plot in general)

        Loading editor
    • Dante had an origin as well... AND the anime/manga established that Dante and Vergil had white hair as children

        Loading editor
    • I'm just trying to figure out the real meaning behind his white hair? Like is it really just a signature look or...

        Loading editor
    • Hes the son of a demon. I really dont understand why some fans get hung up on why his hair is white. Hes not human. He has inhuman features. That should be enough to understand what the hair is about.

        Loading editor
    • I'm not going to go through every point you made, but here's my take on it.



      They really didn't need to change much, they just needed to execute it better.



      Dante in DmC isn't a bad character, just a poorly explained one. Yes in the beginning he's an ass. He doesn't care about anything, because he's constantly hunted by demons but doens't know why and I can understand that. He doesn't remember who his parents are, that he's a nephelim, that he has a brother, that mundus screwed him over.

      It isn't until he meets Vergil, is told what he is, that he has a brother, and recovers his memory that he changes and starts to become more of the dante that we know from the original series. Still not as cocky, but starts to show it more. But more importantly, he shows more maturity similar to his classic counterpart from that point onwards as well, caring more about kat, his brother, and the state of humanity. People seem to forget that underneath all the sass of OG Dante is a character who genuinly cares about people above all else. The sassy attitude is a front, hiding that underneath it all he's a very serious person. DmC Dante is the same way. Yes he has his "FUCK YOU" exchange with succubus, but later on shows a lot of compassion for Kat's wellbeing. And by the end of the game, you can tell that he's grown quite a bit, fighting his brother to protect humanity from another tyrant. He could have killed Vergil, but didn't because Kat made him understand that he was beaten. If Dante was really this "edgy fuck-everything guy" that so many DmC haters say he is, he woudln't give a damn about Vergil, but he gave him another chance, then questioned who is was and what his place in the world is.

      Now, as stated before, his character wasn't really executed well. They should have shown more of Dante questioning his place in the world earlier on in the story, after meeting Vergil. It would have been good to have more cutscenes between Dante and Vergil, or Dante and Kat, having him show the softer side of him more often to better flesh him out. Instead, he goes from asshole to hero then confused hero by the end, and it all felt really poorly paced.

      With regards to his look, I liked it tbh. People bitched about his hair, but tbh it turned white by the end of the game, so yea. Yes he didn't have the red coat, but hey Capcom wanted a different looking Dante. I like how as the game went on, his hair would get longer and also turn white, which I thought was a subtle way of showing him growing up and becoming more of OGD by the end as his personality does change to be a bit closer to OGD



      Kat would have benefited from being more involved yes, but I think that was the point of her character. Vergil was willing to throw her away at the end, but Dante had to explain to him that they would have failed in taking down Mundus time and time again had Kat not been there. She found Dante, she kept getting Dante out of Limbo, she got Dante into limbo in the Verility factory, she drew up the plan and mapped out Mundus' HQ. Without her, Dante would have been stranded in Limbo, they never would have gotten Mundus' mistress (not because she showed them where she was or anything, but because saving her was the catalyst that led to the idea of abducting Lilith). The only things I would change with her would be the previously mentioned extra scenes for character development, and maybe a few scenes of her being able to fend for herself or something. But tbh, she's only human. Shes a civilian, and the one place where she could have maybe stood a chance would have been against a group of trained, armed police officers, and that wasn't going to happen. Dante even made that point, telling her when the Order's HQ was stormed for her to not fight back, probably knowing if she did she'd get killed and he didn't want that. I'm not saying she was perfect the way she was, but the role she played in the story really couldn't be done another way, not that I can think of anyways, without some major changes to the story and its outcome.



      I disagree with the Vergil thing. Yes in the beginning I didn't like his character because he seemed so different from what i'm accustomed to with Vergil, and by the end he still is somewhat different. OGV relies on no one. He wants power, and he gets it by doing everything himself, for himself. He's honorable, but still if the end result is him getting power he will do it. DmC Vergil is similar but was willing to work with others to further his goals. You mentioned that he's a "manipulative pussy" and I have to say, I disagree. I don't think he was ever TRYING to manipulate anyone. At the end of the game, he casually mentions him and Dante ruling over humanity after Mundus is gone, and when Kat and Dante are like "wait, what?" he looks genuinely confused. I don't think he was trying to manipulate them, I think he honestly thought they knew what his plan was all along and were ok with it. Hell, this is explained in the DLC, where Vergil is confronted by phantom versions of himself, Kat, and Dante and Vergil is acting as if he is a victim of betrayal. 

      I agree with the Mundus thing. He looks liess like a demon and more like Thing from Fantastic 4.



      The wig joke. ugh i'm so tired of hearing this... its a joke. This wasn't NT shitting on fans or OG Dante. This was just poking fun at Dante's original look. Poking fun at =/= shitting on. Other mediums do this with reboots, comic books being a big one. Redesigned characters will see something that looks like their older design and poke fun at it. Why fans of comic books which have been around for like 50+ years, who can be RABID at times, can take the joke but fans of a character action video game that is like 18 years old can't really makes no sense. Its even funnier when you think about it, because by the end of the game his hair turns WHITE and is LONGER. Not as long as the wig/moptop, but still its noticeable. 

        Loading editor
    • I n3ed to start locking old topics.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message